I love this card! That said, my love is likely through rose-colored glasses. Let's examine the con's first.
- It's expensive.
- It can be discard through Encounter card effects (every Encounter deck has Caught Off Guard)
- Requires a Hero to make a basic attack (competes with other basic actions)
- Must target Unique enemies (the Villain(s) and Unique Minions only)
- Is Restricted (may compete with other Restricted cards) This is a pretty substantial list of cons. Godslayer is not an auto-include in any Hero's deck against any Villain; some consideration must be made.
How about the pros?
- Is permanent (no Uses, no discard trigger)
- May be used more than once per phase.
- The Villain is always available to attack.
- Unique Minions tend to have high hit points.
- Can utilize Mean Swing without losing ability. The best case scenario for the Godslayer is when it is played early and then used often. As a permanent Upgrade, it has no upper limit to the additional damage it can cause. Combined with other Upgrades and effects, this card can provide a substantial source of damage against the Villain. If played early to mid-game, I've seen it provide at least 12 and up to 20 damage. Pretty good value for a 3 cost Upgrade!
Given these considerations, including the Godslayer in your deck should require that a Hero has certain characteristics. At a minimum, it would require:
- The Hero plans to use their basic attack to deal damage (likely has a high base ATK).
- The Hero has ways to Ready (through abilities, Upgrades, or Events)
So, who might want to include this card, and meets these basic criteria? Let's take a look, in release order.
- She Hulk - One Two Punch, access to Limitless Stamina & Unshakable
- Captain America - I Can Do This All Day
- Thor - Access to Limitless Stamina & Unshakable
- Spider-Woman - Self-Propelled Glide, deck build allows for additional readying cards and Upgrades from other Aspects.
- Quicksilver - Super-Speed, Always Be Running. Just....insane.
- Spider-Ham - Organic Webbing
- SP//dr - Host Spider Some interesting use-cases might include Wasp (can split increased attack between targets, but no inherent Ready)and Valkyrie (Death-Glow can be awkward, competes with her Signature equipment) Interestingly enough, I don't usually run this with Gamora (pictured on the card). She is usually spreading her basic actions around , and wants cards that enable her to utilize her Finesse and Precision abilities. Godslayer knocks her temp down, taking her entire hand to play it.
So there you have it! some pros and cos to weigh, and some Heroes that might look amazing holding this powerful artifact.